How to use the beagleboard.img.gz on a BeagleBone Black

Hi,
Is the beagleboard.img.gz useable by itself or needs further preparation?
I fetched pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-7.0_RC1/evbarm-earmv7hf/binary/gzimg/beagleboard.img.gz
Unzipped it & wrote the img file a SD card.
Attempting to boot from the sd card yields nothing from the console.
I'm unable to find any documentation for this file.
Is this meant to be a prepared image with necessary sets installed in the image?

Sevan / Venture37