Re: Minor NTP question ....

wam%hiwaay.net@localhost ("William A. Mahaffey III") writes:

>Ahhhh, I wasn't aware of that (offsets in usec.), that helps. I do have
>a DS3231 clock chip on my RPiB+, although someone else mentioned that it
>is not (yet) supported.

I don't think so.

>Does NetBSD-7 write system time to whatever
>saves time on the mbd on poweroff ? It seems that when I have a power
>burp that gets the RPi, it comes back up w/ pretty good time right away,
>even w/ no internet available ....

The FFS filesystem writes a timestamp to the superblock when it is synced
and when it is unmounted. The timestamp of the root filesystem is used
to initialize the system clock. A regular reboot therefore will store
and recover the timestamp and lose a few (maybe 2-3 on the RPI) seconds
in between.

When the system had crashed, you get an older timestamp, probably from
less than a minute ago unless the system was really idle.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost