Re: ntpdate issue ....

On 04/05/15 17:59, Christos Zoulas wrote:
In article <5521A935.4050809%hiwaay.net@localhost>,
William A. Mahaffey III <wam%hiwaay.net@localhost> wrote:
I absolutely agree, I wish I had figured this out a while back :-). It
does bring up another possible issue for me. My LAN is not always
connected to the internet, I disconnect at night & whenever I know I
will be away from the computer for some time (mow the lawn, run errands,
eat, etc.), thus I am only connected a few hours per day. How will ntpd
handle this intermittent connection (to internet time servers)
circumstance ? TIA & thanks again.

It depends; when you get disconnected, the clock will drift. Depending
on the system (how well it keeps time) and how long you stay disconnected
will dictate the approach. If you drift for < 600 seconds, you can use
ntpd -x (i.e. keep running ntpd with -x and it will correct the drift when
it is reconnected); if you drift more (and I hope you don't), you should
create a script or a cron job to restart ntpdate and ntpd.

christos

Excellent, thanks for the pointers :-). I just kicked it off w/ flags of '-ggggx', to also let it slew the time if necessary upon reconnection, we'll see how it goes. If this works as it should, it is far superior to what I was doing in the past, so thanks again.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.