Raspberry Pi installation comments

Hello,

I recently succeeded installing NetBSD on my Raspberry Pi using the
earmhf _inst image from -current.

Here are some comments:

* Nowhere in the documentation is mentioned that you need to add the
  msdos MBR partition again as BSD partition ld0e with mount point
  /boot. I mounted it as /rpi initially, figuring /boot might be needed
  for something else and sysinst couldn't copy /netbsd.bin to
  /boot/kernel.img, which I then did manually. It would be nice if
  sysinst would automatically detect the msdos partition as ld0e or at
  least the error message would clarify it.

* I installed to a 16G SD card and sysinst complained that it couldn't
  figure out the correct drive geometry from the values obtained from
  BIOS. I'm not sure if the message should be changed or if sysinst
  actually probes BIOS. After setting the right geometry manually (as
  obtained by fdisk -l from my linux box) and creating some partitions
  with sysinst, sysinst was able to figure the correct geometry by
  itself as soon as I rebooted, deleted the partitions and started from
  scratch.

* As my Raspberry Pi is currently completely headless, I would like to
  be able to boot to single user mode and have single user mode
  automatically start the network and sshd rather than attaching a
  serial cable. Does anyone know if that's possible?

* Since the Raspberry Pi is a rather slow machine (especially when
  doing SD I/O), I'd be interested in cross-compiling pkgsrc packages
  for it from a faster machine. There are some notes on ftp.netbsd.org
  about cross-compiling pkgsrc packages, but I'm not sure if they are up
  to date.

Best regards,

Moritz