Re: Beaglebone broken

On 6 Oct, 2013, at 01:39 , John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost> wrote:
> I tried updating my Beaglebone and saw that not only do we have hardware
> floating point (yay!) but that we also have a Beaglebone disk image. However,
> while the bootloader works, the kernel never launches:

> reading bboard.ub
> 4802368 bytes read in 544 ms (8.4 MiB/s)
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 81000000 ...
>   Image Name:   NetBSD/beagle 6.99.24
>   Image Type:   ARM NetBSD Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>   Data Size:    4802304 Bytes = 4.6 MiB
>   Load Address: 80300000
>   Entry Point:  80300000
>   Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
> ## Transferring control to NetBSD stage-2 loader (at address 80300000) ...
>
> Then it just hangs. I put an older, working kernel onto the MS-DOS partition
> and loaded it with fatload and it booted just fine, so does anyone have a
> clue about what changed that broke Beaglebone booting?
>
> John

For what it's worth I just copied a kernel from a -current build done
about 18 hours ago onto mine and it booted just fine (the board was
running a September 2 kernel prior to that).  Whatever the problem is,
it isn't a general problem.

Note that the start of my boot looks like

    reading netbsd.ub
    3129472 bytes read in 316 ms (9.4 MiB/s)
    gpio: pin 53 (gpio 53) value is 0
    gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 0
    ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 802fffc0 ...
       Image Name:   NetBSD/beagle 6.99.24
       Image Type:   ARM NetBSD Kernel Image (uncompressed)
       Data Size:    3129408 Bytes = 3 MiB
       Load Address: 80300000
       Entry Point:  80300000
       Verifying Checksum ... OK
       XIP Kernel Image ... OK
    ## Transferring control to NetBSD stage-2 loader (at address 80300000) ...

My kernel is the vanilla BEAGLEBONE kernel built by default with an
evbarm build.

    NetBSD 6.99.24 (BEAGLEBONE) #1: Sun Oct  6 03:18:23 EDT 2013

The size of the kernel you are trying to boot is a whole lot bigger
than this.  Are you sure it's the right one for the BBB?

Dennis Ferguson