Re: Stuff missing from libgcc.a?

On 20 Aug, 2013, at 03:10 , Matt Thomas <matt%3am-software.com@localhost> wrote:
>> I hence think the earm libgcc.a is missing stuff that should
>> be in there, but I'm not sure so I thought I'd ask.
>
> NetBSD standalone apps don't use libgcc, but we provide the
> equivalent in libkern.
>
> You might try build a libkern and see if it's a suitable
> replacement.  Hopefully soon, NetBSD will supply an empty
> libgcc.a :)

Got it.  The trouble with doing this in a hurry is that while
a number of libkern.a instances get built with a `-a earm' build
the ones I've tried to use as a libgcc.a replacement seem to have
been compiled for `-a arm'(?).  Loading against the library produces
ABI mismatch errors of the form

arm--netbsdelf-eabi-ld.bfd: error: Source object
/home/dennis/U-Boot/lib/libgcc.a(divsi3.o) has EABI version 0, but target
u-boot has EABI version 5

so I'm faced with figuring out how to produce a cross-compiled
version of that library which uses the build's ABI.

It did occur to me that if that library, or at least that library's
version of the compiler runtime, is what is required to build standalone
programs not included in the NetBSD base system then it might be nice
if it were available as a system library.  As far as I can tell this
is the only issue keeping me from being able to produce a new set of
u-boot binaries without having to put together a Linux system for the
purpose of compiling it.

Dennis Ferguson