Re: sshramdisk general information

On 20-Mar-2013 Greg Troxel wrote:
>   boot on pi
>   ssh sysinst@pi-dhcp (pass sysinst)
>   install
>   [rest of questions]
>
>   end up with system with one big ffs partition as /, plus boot msdos
>   partition

I haven't documented it yet, and I fully intend to do so.

Here is exactly what I did:

dd if=rpi_inst.img of=/dev/r<sdcarddev> bs=1m
(never bothered to zero it or anything, I even overwrote previous installs a
few times)

install
what disk? ld0
it asks about geometry, I just took the defaults
Quesiton about partitions, pick "use whole disk", yes, overwrite and nuke, we
don't care.
Set up partitions, I picked the second option, it showed me root, and swap, I
just accepted the defaults.
Then it should show you a map of the partitions.  root should be most of the
disk, partiton a.  swap b, 128M.  c is whole disk-sized. d unused. e "boot
partition". Boot should be about 56M.

Then it worked for me.

I did add a nuke the disklabel command (disklabel -D), before writing the new
one in.  I wonder if your sd card has an issue with this for some reason?  I
cannot imagine why yours would be that different from mine. I did this to be
sure the old raw partition setup from the image file's disklabel didn't
interfere with the new one being written.  Perhaps that is an issue somehow..?

Can you turn on logging in sysinst?  It's under the utils option on the main
menu.  It writes the log to /tmp/ on the ramdisk.

---
Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/