Re: USB 802.11 adaptor

On 17/03/2013, at 9:17 PM, Jochen Kunz <jkunz%unixag-kl.fh-kl.de@localhost>
wrote:

> The problem isn't total power consumtion, but short peaks that exceed
> the max. 0.5 A for USB. This happens e.g. on sending a packet.

I use a DEV-09717 USB to Serial cable from Sparkfun to power my RPI. The cable
has 5V Vcc and 3.3V I/Os which matches the voltages used for the GPIO header. I
just re-arrange the sockets on the end of the cable to match the RPI and plug
it in. I have the USB connector plugged in to a high power port on a USB hub so
that I can be sure that I have some reasonable current available. The 5V Vcc
pins on the GPIO connector are pretty much the same as the 5V power input,
except that they bypass the 1.1A polyfuse.

Cheers,
Lloyd