Re: Booting NetBSD/evbarm on QEMU (IntegratorCP)

On 2/6/13 2:43 PM, Sergio López wrote:
Hi,

As part of a personal project to get familiar with the ARM
architecture, I've been working on getting NetBSD/evbarm to boot on
QEMU. I've based my work on the present support for ARM Integrator
evaluation board.

Great! I've been wanting NetBSD/evbarm running under QEMU for some time now, so this is *really* fantastic.

Right now, it boots and its able to mount root from ramdisk and NFS
(though I've only tested the latter). This emulated board also
includes a PL181 device for memory cards, but is not yet supported.

You can find the patch here:

http://blogs.nologin.es/slopez/uploads/integrator-qemu-2012-02-06.diff

(note for others:  the correct URL is

http://blogs.nologin.es/slopez/uploads/integrator-qemu-2013-02-06.diff
)

And a ready to use image here:

http://blogs.nologin.es/slopez/uploads/netbsd.gz.ub

It can be used with something like this: "qemu-system-arm -M
integratorcp -cpu arm1136 -m 128m -kernel netbsd.gz.ub -serial stdio
-net nic -net tap". This image doesn't contain a ramdisk, so you'll
need an NFS with NetBSD/evbarm root, and a properly configured DHCP
server.

I was able to get it running with NFS root, though there are still some networking glitches (dhcpcd didn't work properly, even though the kernel got an address)

Some brief tests indicate it will be a good platform for its intended purpose. :)

Please note that I'm not familiar with the NetBSD contributing
process, so if you think it could be convenient to commit this work to
the repository, please tell me which changes to the code and/or
administrative tasks must be done to meet your standards.

I'm happy to work with you to get this code into the tree; I haven't had time to fully review it yet, but I did confirm it works. :) I'll contact you off-list.

Thanks again!
+j