Re: (improvement?) Dockstar (like SHEEVAPLUG) panics at init with -current after Aug 31, 2012

On Dec 20, 2012, at 9:15 PM, Andy Ruhl wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Matt Thomas
> <matt%3am-software.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 18, 2012, at 5:33 AM, Andy Ruhl wrote:
>>
>>> This kernel alone does not work for me. The panic at init looks the same.
>>
>> In arm/arm32/arm32_kvminit, can you try increasing:
>>
>>        kernel_size += 0x10000; /* slop */
>>
>> until your kernel boots and then tell me what value you needed?
>> And the output of VERBOSE_INIT_ARM as well.
>
> I set this in arm32_kvminit.c:
>
> kernel_size += 0x300000;        /* slop changed from 0x100000 */
>
> And now it boots.
>
> Is this masking the problem or solving the problem?
>
> Why would other machines boot without this change? Different kernel configs?
>
> I'll try to send the verbose boot output shortly.

When I was bringing up FreeBSD on Cavium, I found that uboot put a special
structure RIGHT after the kernel, so I needed account for that so I didn't read
bogus points from it that had been overwritten by the kernel running.

Warner