NSLU2 from usb

Hi,

I'm looking with dread at these steps for getting NetBSD on an NSLU2:

http://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_install_netbsd_on_the_linksys_nslu2___40__slug__41___without_a_serial_port__44___using_nfs_and_telnet/

I'm wondering if anyone has, instead, tried  what could be a simpler process:

- build a file system and write it to a USB stick
- tftp boot the sd kernel

If not, I'll give it a go (but I suspect I'll be dusting off the
soldering iron ...).

BTW, to that end, is there a "correct" way to build a customised file
system (such as set the root password, enable networking and ssl etc)?

Andrew