Re: gprof SEGV issue for GCC-4.5.X toolchain.

On Jun 28, 2011, at 3:48 AM, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> On 27/06/11 19:53, Matt Thomas wrote:
>>
>> Well, first of all, NetBSD doesn't use EABI.  That ABI derives from
>> bpabi.h which isn't used by arm*-*-netbsdelf*.  So you've built the
>> wrong compiler to use with NetBSD.
>>

> Hmm, it really is about time that NetBSD moved to the EABI.  I thought
> that we'd agreed at the time that the current ABI was adopted that it
> was going to be transitional, not permanent.

I was actually thinking about using thumb2 for the newer processors.

> There are a number of benefits to moving: more efficient alignment of
> larger data types; better C++ exception handling; better testing of the
> compiler (everyone else builds and tests with the EABI these days).

New ABI presents a problem with compatibility.  We still binary compatiblity so
we will need use MKCOMPAT to build older versions as well as EABI and thumb2
variants.  What about arm26 support?  Does that just go away [not that I would
mind if that happened]?

One other issues is we are moving away from libgcc so any compiler-rt will need
to be provide those routines.  I don't see a listing of those routine in
bpapi.pdf

> I don't see the day being far off when support for the old ABI becomes
> deprecated in GCC -- that'll put NetBSD at a disadvantage if it hasn't
> worked out a transition plan.

Sadly, that seems to happen more and more these days (older power support going
away, etc.).