Re: Dockstar question

> How does one boot NetBSD on a Dockstar without a serial cable? I've looked
> through the mailing list, but I don't see anything which explains it. Is it
> enough to ssh to GNU/Linux that comes with it and set a boot variable there?
> Any pointers to documentation would be most welcome.

I suggest to modify your Dockstar using the U-Boot by Jeff Doozan [1]. Once
done, prepare an external USB memory device (may it be a flash or magnetic
drive) on another NetBSD machine. Create two partitions: the first one, quite
small (I usually do it around 50 MBs), ext2 and just put the kernel in it. In
order to avoid modifying the boot variables, put the kernel in the boot
directory  and call it "uImage". So, to sum up, the ext2 partition should just
contain the folder "boot" and, inside it, the "uImage" file, which is the
NetBSD kernel.
Then prepare the usual NetBSD partition, with the labels, and copy the base
system and the etc. Or whatever you want,   just be sure it's compiled for
evbarm architecture. When compiling the kernel, follow some hints [2] already
posted on the mailing list.
I've been able to do it without a serial console. Then I decided to open it and
attach it, but just for fun :)

[1] http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/
[2] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm/2011/02/05/msg001088.html

Stefano