Re: CPU results on Freescale i.MX

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 07:19:01PM -0500, Christopher Berardi wrote:

> I did run 'openssl speed' on it and the laptop (both running Ubuntu). The
> results seem to indicate that the laptop is an order of magnitude faster and
> more powerful than the ARM system.

That isn't surprising.
Your laptop is probably a 2GHz+ x86 capable of executing 3 or more instructions
per clock - albeit with a long pipeline that causes a lot of delays on a
mispredicted
branch.

The ARM is probably < 500MHz, with only one execution unit.
It will (almost certainly) have a shorter pipeline, but the mmu is missing
some functionality that makes process switching and susytem calls more
expensive.

So an order of magnitude isn't surprising!

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost