Re: NetBSD 5.0.1 Support for the TS7200

Ken,

I am intending to build a system to monitor the health of my boat using the TS-7200 and the TS-GSM1. I want the TS-7200 to monitor battery voltages using the onboard ADC and to monitor security and a bilge float switch and a few other things using the onboard DIO. I will use a USB connected GPS receiver to monitor position so that I will know if the boat is on the move when it shouldn't be (stolen or slipped it's mooring or anchor). I will use the TS-GSM1 to send alerts if something is abnormal. I am going to use TCL to glue all this together because it my absolutely favourite programming language. If this is all successful then I will make some more for my yachting friends and then maybe sell some as well.

To get started I want to build a development environment so that I can build TS-7200 kernels. At this point I have a cross development environment running on a IA64 VMware virtual. I can build the standard TS7200 kernel in the 5.0.1 source tree but I can't work out how to gzip it so that it can be written to and booted from the TS-7200 flash.

If you can help me with the following things I would be very thankful:

1.    How to build a TS-7200 gzipped kernel.

2.    A kernel config file that will built a kernel for an 8 MB flash / 32 MB RAM TS-7200.

3.    Any pointer you may have that will help me to build a kernel driver for the onboard ADC hardware and use it with TCL.

Thankyou.

Patrick Collins
+61 419 712 581

On 5 February 2010 23:22, Ken Hornstein <kenh%pobox.com@localhost> wrote:
>   - I am really struggling to understand how to build a kernel for the
>   TS7200 so if you had some sort of minimal procedure that would be greatly
>   appreciated.

You probably don't want to build ON the TS7200, because it's not the fastest
machine out there.

NetBSD actually has a pretty good cross-compilation environment.  Check
out the build.sh script at the top-level of the NetBSD sources.

5.0.1 has support for the extra DIO boards that are sold for the TS7200;
if you want support for the on-board DIO pins then that support is in
-current, and I have back-ported it to 5.0.1; contact me for more info.

There is currently no support for any of the ADIO hardware for the
TS7200; I have been meaning to write some, but I haven't figured out
what the API should look like.

If you're cross-compiling from MacOS X, you will need some changes;
you can ask me for those.

--Ken