Re: Maximum disk size on a Shark

Michael said on 13/12/08 04:56:

> Hello,
>
> On Dec 12, 2008, at 6:37 PM, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if there's a limit on the size of disk that the shark
>> firmware can support?
>
> Not really, but I doubt that it supports things like LBA.
>
>> I recently bought a 80G laptop drive to put in it, but the firmware
>> doesn't seem to be able to see it, and NetBSD install kernel can't find
>> it either (I think it just asks the OFW code).
>
> The biggest disk I ever stuck in a shark is a 6GB Toshiba which worked
> just fine. I'd suspect the sharks limit around 8GB.
>
> have fun
> Michael

Hi Michael,

Both my sharks have 40GB drives, so the limit is certainly higher than
8GB. Now memory is a different matter - I tried combining a 32MB and
64MB SDRAM sticks, but the Shark only saw 64MB as it seems to be very
fussy about the RAM configuration. 64MB is enough to run Xorg or
PostgreSQL without swapping though.

Regards,

Chris