Re: NetBSD 4.0.1 install on TS-7200

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Simon Burge wrote:

Ken Hornstein wrote:
[snip]
RedBoot> go
$T0a0f:348136c0;0d:48957fc0;#cf

Any key presses result in similar garbage.

That vaguely looks like gdb gibberish maybe?

Spot on, this is the GDB remote procotol. The above means:

"Trapped on signal 0x0a, PC=0xc0368134, SP=0xc07f9548"

(the bytes in the GDB protocol are hex strings in target byte order i.e. LSB).

Signal 10 is bus error in NetBSD -- I assume also in the RedBoot GDB stub?

FWIW, I have successfully run NetBSD 4.99.72 (and earlier) on a TS7250 board, with slight bootstrap modifications to utilize the extra SDRAM found on my particular board. I have however always netbooted the kernel(s) with tftp, and run the system off of an NFS root:

RedBoot> load -v -r -b 0x200000 netbsd-epe0

(the ORDER of those v, r and b options seem to matter, for some reason!)

I'm not sure what the difference is with the kernels built for flash booting, but I have just yesterday built a 5.0_BETA dist, so I can at least verify that the 5.0 branch works in a netbooted environment. I'll see if I can get it booted from flash as well -- the TS7250 has a large NAND instead of NOR, but afaik the TS7200 doesn't execute the kernel in place anyway(?), so then the boot procedure should be similar.

Best regards,
ali:)