Re: Panics going multiuser with NetBSD 8, 9, current

On Sun, 12 Sept 2021 at 21:52, John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost> wrote:

> >> Did you try FFSv1? I'm not sure, but I may be running v1. dumpfs(8) reports
> >> "format: FFSv1", although the sblock is FFSv2...
> >
> > That's next.
>
> Using FFSv1 changed the verbosity of the panics, but little else:
>
> https://www.klos.com/~john/a4000_panic_pt4.jpg
> https://www.klos.com/~john/a4000_panic_pt5.jpg
> https://www.klos.com/~john/a4000_panic_pt6.jpg
>
> >> Your panics seem related to disk operations.
>
> I'm still puzzled about this, since it's happening on multiple types of
> drives on different busses, some with RDBs, some with simple disklabels.
>
> I tested NetBSD 8 and NetBSD 7, and both exhibit the same issues. NetBSD 6
> runs without issues, though.
>
> I'm open to trying anything that might work or give more data.

Waves hands and mumbles something about different gcc versions
handling "undefined" code (c or assembly) differently - well, it a
possibility & much oddness can ensure when it happens.

Some random thoughts
- Can you setup a filesystem under netbsd-6, then boot the netbsd-7
miniroot and chroot to the netbsd-6 filesystem
- Is there anything interesting different between a netbsd-6 and netbsd-7 dmesg

David