Re: GCC8 v.s. amiga

Hi,

I can confirm that I experienced all of the same problems as Rin and
others with FS-UAE 3.0.5 (also brief testing with WinUAE 4.4.0 showed
identical behavior) and emulated 68040. I see random freezes with a
kernel built with GCC 8. I can't enter DDB or dump. On WinUAE, the
status bar actually changes to "HALT".

My suspicion at the moment is that these mysterious freezes on real
and emulated Amigas are due to a bug in locore.s or some other
low-level Amiga-specific asm or C code that nobody has discovered yet,
related to the C code being optimized differently between GCC 7 and
GCC 8.

I'd still like to solve the problems I was seeing with CPUFLAGS that I
reported in my own thread (and I'll submit the whitespace patch I made
that I know is good upstream), but my highest priority, as far as
NetBSD hacking, is to try to help out in any way I can to figure out
why the kernels are crashing with GCC 8 (and up). I'll review the
kernel code and set aside the GCC backend for now. I think the problem
is in the kernel, not GCC.

Thanks,
Jake