Re: Problems in newest netbsd-5 systems?

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, John Klos wrote:

[snip]

c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -O2 -MT pcrecpp_unittest.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/pcrecpp_unittest.Tpo -c -o pcrecpp_unittest.o pcrecpp_unittest.cc
pcrecpp_unittest.cc: In function 'int main(int, char**)':
pcrecpp_unittest.cc:1276: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://www.NetBSD.org/Misc/send-pr.html> for instructions.

[snip]
Manually changing -O2 to -Os allows the compiling to complete, but -O fails, too.

Any ideas?

I've seen this happen while rebuilding NetBSD itself (and only with c++) sometime around 4.0 on other architectures. It turned out to be that the newer gcc toolchains simply hit the soft memory limit, which had a very conservative default. Given that changing the optimization level fixes it for you, I think this is what you're seeing.

Hrrm time to give NetBSD-5 a go on my Amiga4000s... :-)

Best regards,
ali:)