Re: new NetBSD user dummy questions - change root password problem

Supernobby wrote:
current pass for root (uid 0):
Was this empty, or did you erase output before sending mail? For root it
should print encoded current password, and for other users "*".
--------------- trying with pw_getpwconf --------------
localcipher: key: pw_gensalt returned: -1 salt: crypted foobar: ..Tgnr41TuFZA
--------------- trying with pw_getconf --------------
localcipher: old
key: old
pw_gensalt returned: 0
salt: Jt
crypted foobar: Jt46rjnTMybIU
###########################
This is run as root. If I run this as normal usr, it gives same output for the relevant lines in pw_getpwconf section.

Is there somewhere a good documentation for pw_getpwconf() function, where I could read about what could go wrong?
I don't think it's documented. There's a manpage for pw_getconf but not
for pw_getpwconf. Basically, pw_getpwconf tries to determine what cipher
should be used, depending on various account related informations.

In case you're interested, these functions are implemented in following
source file:
src/lib/libutil/passwd.c
( http://opengrok.netbsd.org/source/xref/lib/libutil/passwd.c )

But maybe you know?
Not really, NetBSD devs should look into it. This is almost certainly a
bug.

Please submit problem report using send-pr utility, or web interface:
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/sendpr.cgi?gndb=netbsd

Don't forget to attach results of our research.

Regards
Radek