new NetBSD user dummy questions - change root password problem

Hello all,
thanks for still maintaining the NetBSD/amiga port. I am happy to use it if
possible.
I just got NetBSD/amiga installed on my A4000D with Cyberstorm MK2, Merlin,
X-Surf. Installation did work ok, I could get installation sets via ftp.
But this was not so easy, as the installation guide has not so many details on
that (like what is login data, path on the server, ...). But I could find
required info at other places.
Ok, I can boot now NetBSD by selecting the root partition in the early start
menu of the AMIGA.
In the meantime I managed to get bash installed, which helps a lot.
May I start with the first issue I have now. If it is solved somehow, we can
go on :-).

1) as suggested, I want to change root password. But this fails with the
error:

Couldn't get salt.
Unable to change auth token: error in service module

Does somebody can help? I can also try to provide more details on that, if
required.

Thanks in advance!
Andreas