Re: NetBSD 3.0.1 Installer on A1200

Am 19.08.2006 um 12:14 schrieb Ignatios Souvatzis:

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 12:45:41AM +0200, Matthias Muench wrote:
I really don't get it. I installed NetBSD on an A3000 without
problems but this A1200 makes me mad.

I have a 20 GB HDD with 4 Partitions connected to internal IDE Port:

IDH0 - AmigaOS
IDH1 - root
IDH2 - swap
IDH3 - usr

After loading the kernel it writes:

no file system for wd0 (dev 0x1100)
cannot mount root, error = 79
root device (default wd0a):

Ok, wd0a would be my AmigaOS Partition so I changed it to wd0b and

No.

the NBR\7 is wd0a
the NBS\1 is wd0b

the whole disk is wd0c

All others are ordered after that, I think in your case

IDH0 -> wd0d
IDH3 -> wd0e

There's another consideration:

when you boot the installer, it's probably on the swap partition (if you
did copy it there), so you'd need to boot from wd0b.

Another minor suggestion: if you did boot it, and aborted the installation for whatever reason, you should better copy the install file system to the
disk again; installation can modify it, because the installation fs
is a real disk file system for NetBSD/amiga (and a few others).

Yes, I have the miniroot.fs on my swap, bootet from there and started the installer with 'netbsd'. If he asks now for the root device I should enter the 'wd0b' (swap partition), for dump device 'none' and file system 'generic' if I understand the install guide correct.

Cheers,
Matthias