Re: PCMCIA Network Card

Hi Nicolas & Darren,

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Nicolas Bruno BASTIEN wrote:

> Selon Darrell Blake <darrell%dunmanifestin.co.uk@localhost>:
> > Hi,
> > I've got a PCMCIA network card connected to my netbsd amiga and I'm wanting
> > to configure it. It's connected to a router which uses DHCP. When I run
> > "ifconfig -a" I get the following output (excluding loopback device)...

Well, the "-a" only prints the active ones, I think "-l" is what you
thought of.

> > sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 296
> > ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> > It's the sl0: that's intriguing me. I havn't actually configured the kernel
> > for PCMCIA support because I don't know how to so I'm inclined to believe
> > that this isn't the card so I'm wondering what it is.
> sl0 for "Serial Line 0"
> It is a network device attached to your serial port.

Do you use the GENERIC kernel? If so you should already have pcmcia
support enabled.

> For your PCMCIA network card, I can't answer you.
> I just know that not all card are supported.
> Look after NetBSD website, in the Amiga section and you will
> know if your card is supported.

Ah I think you should better have a look at http://www.g-mb.de/pcmcia.html
as I suppose that Ignatios or Aymeric didnt add that link to the
port-amiga page so far.
On the Amiga-OS side, only NE2000 compatibel cards are supported.
I suppose NetBSD could or does support more. So you should expect the card
to show up as ne0.
But the main problem here is the PCMCIA implementation of the Cards which
often are optimized for an (maybe even faulty) ISA Bridge which is not
present on an Amiga at all...

> Nicolas Bruno BASTIEN

Ciao

Martin