Re: LoadBSD for ELF kernels

        Hi,

Gunther Nikl <gni%gecko.de@localhost> writes:

>   Before I try to integrate my code into loadbsd, I would like to know who
>   much interest in such a loadbsd exists.

there is definitely interest in having a "loadbsd" for ELF
kernels, especially for installing new (e.g. "diskless")
systems. However, I think it would be a shame if we couldn't re-use
loadfile().

Actually, I think a good solution would be to modify runbootblock so
that it can get the bootblock in a file instead of on a partition.
I think this should be a trivial task. Michael, do you have the source
around? :-)

Having a complex stand-alone loadbsd, beside the fact that it
potentially duplicates code, means that we need to have a working
toolchain under AmigaOS to release new versions of that loader.
On the contrary, reading a bootblock file lets us compile it from
under NetBSD, and makes automatic updates of said utility easier.

But anyway, keep your code around, I think that if you produce a
working ELF loadbsd, many people will be happy to use it.

Kind regards,
 Aymeric