Re: compiling openssl

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 07:29:33PM -0400, webmaster%datazap.net@localhost wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am hoping that someone can shed some insight on what is going. I am
> running NetBSD 1.5.3, and I just used sup to download the latest pkgsrc
> tree. I would like to update my install of openssl, but when I type make
> it compiles with -O2 -m68020-40 and not for the 68060. I can't understand
> this because I have:
>
> M68060=YES
> COPTS+=-O3 -m68060
> CFLAGS+=-m68060
>
> ...in my mk.conf. Is there something that I am missing? Is there a way to
> get openssl to compile for the 68060?

-m68020-40 will potentially create code that partially uses 68060-emulated
instructions. However, the only such _integer_ instructions (I'm assuming
ssl doesn't use floating point) are division of 64 bit through 32 bit with
32 bit result and multiplication of 32x32 bit with 64 bit result.

The compiler does only create the latter for a clever division by a small
constant - which should not happen inside a loop in OpenSSL, I guess. So
the only real problem would happen if they used an assembler version of
integer multiprecision emulation - those like to use 32x32->64 on 68020-40.

You can always check by running "systat vmstat". A counter for 68060 integer
emulation is there. If you don't see LOTS of them (like, much more than
10000/second), don't worry. The 50MHz 68060 CPU is saturated at about 220000
32x32->64 emulations per second.

I might be able to have a look later today at the ssl code, to tell you
more.