startx and non-us keymap

Hi,

is anyone using startx (with Xwrapper) and a non-us keymap (in my case,
'de') in ~/.xserverrc or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc?

I have found that the X server will not be able to find de.xkm in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/. Instead it will use /var/tmp as the
base directory, so copying/linking de.xkm there helps to work around
the problem.

According to the source code (xc/programs/Xserver/xkb/ddxLoad.c), if the
X server runs with a real uid of 0 it uses /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/
else /var/tmp.
Shouldn't this be a check for the effective uid instead, which is set
to 0 by Xwrapper?

I have found no mention of /var/tmp in the accompanying documents for
the X sets and wonder whether I am missing something.

ciao
     Klaus