Re: Red screen with A3000

Hi Ignatios.

Quoting Ignatios Souvatzis (04-Dec-01 16:34:45):

> On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 02:05:00PM +0100, Georges Heinesch wrote:
>> Quoting Ignatios Souvatzis (25-Nov-01 22:26:42):
>>
>> > the meaning of the red screen is ROM (kickstart) checksum error -
>> >  do you boot a kickstart from disk at some point?
>>
>> I map the ROM during startup via the CSPPC startup menu. But this
>> worked also before. I didn't change anything regarding startup
>> settings. I tried it right now again and again I get the red
>> screen.
>>
>> The backup as well as the restore was confirmed via a compare.
>> No errors occurred.

> Only error I can think of at this point: somehow the cylinder size
> was different between backup and restore, and the ROM doesn't
> correctly find the NetBSD bootblock when booting.

1. ... sorry for the late answer/reaction ...

2. I got it. It was trivial!
   The initial installation (the situation the backup was done) was
   that an external SCSI tower (including a JAZ drive) was connected
   to the CSPPC SCSI. After the restore, the SCSI tower was connected
   to the A3000 internal SCSI. This changed the device numbering. Now,
   the JAZ was sd0 and the NetBSD partitions were on sd2. Before the
   backup, they were on sd1.

   Of course, this could not work.

Anyway ... thanks for the replies!

--