Re: NetBSD 1.5.1 freezing at cd0

Hello,

> I have no experience with NetBSD. Decided to try it since Linux does not
> support Cyberstorm MKIII.

I run a colocated server which is an Amiga 4000 with a CyberStorm Mk III.
Excellent hardware!

> I'm installing it with a 120meg drive as swap and a 604meg drive as root on
> the A4000 internal IDE. I also have 2 SCSI (wide) harddrives, 2 SCSI cdrom
> drive and a SCSI zip on the Cyberstorm MKIII.

This shouldn't affect your ability to boot, but IDE is much, much slower
and has much more overhead than SCSI. You may consider dropping the IDE
drives, especially since they are so small; they'll make the system feel
much slower, especially when you need the swap space.

> When I try to boot the NetBSD system with loadbsd it finds the IDE drives
> and the 2 SCSI HD but freezes when it locates the first CDROM. I could
> probably run with out the cdroms just to get it running but I have the
> NetBSD install files on a CD and it would not be worth it to loose two cd
> drives to install. I've used both the normal and the alternant "loadbsd -I
> ff -b netbsd" (BTW: what is the ff for?).

Yes. This sounds like a sync mode / termination issue. The -I ff turns off
sync mode, but that doesn't automatically mean that NetBSD will be happy
with your SCSI chain.

Do you have proper wide to narrow SCSI adapters with termination on the
wide lines? Or are all of your devices internal? If they're all internal,
you can use the two wide SCSI drives to terminate the bus at either end.

Something else to try is to boot without any CDs in the CD drives; certain
CD drives get cranky for some reason. If that fails, try removing one or
the other, and/or the Zip.

The CyberStorm Mk III and NetBSD make a beautiful pair, so keep trying!

John Klos
--
The proof of a system's value is its existence.