Re: /etc/mk.conf (was newbie pkg question)

> >> What's a good benchmark to check the performance?
>
> > I built the entire source tree from scratch with 68060
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                      all pkg applications?
>                      That can't be ?!?!
>
> What do you mean by "entire source tree"?

THe NetBSD source tree; I sup the release-1-5 set, cd /usr/src, and make
build (with date > file commands around the make build). On my m68060
machines, thins takes anywhere between 17 and 25 hours (17 on a CyberStorm
Mk III, 60 MHz m68060, 10k rpm IBM SCSI-3 drives; 25 hours on a 50 MHz
Blizzard 1260 with a single 5 1/4" Seagate SCSI, 5400 rpm, no fwc)

However, I have compiled close to 1700 of the packages on one of my
m68060s, but that's never going to be an adequate benchmark since there
are so many things that needed to be revisited and so many broken packages
that needed to be fixed. That took about a month.

> > I don't remember the exact numbewrs, but I went from 18 hours for
> > the whole source tree to 17 hours. Well, it's something!
>
> So once, you compiled something without optimization, and once you did
> it with optimization, right? 1 hour ... well, it's better than
> nothing.

Yes. All things considered, an extra 6% overall isn't bad at all.
Optimisations won't amke my disk any faster, so the actual gain in
performance of code might be higher.

John Klos