/etc/mk.conf (was newbie pkg question)

> Good. That was another question I had. Thanks!
>
> > Personally, I prefer to do all of me installs via the pkgsrc tree,
> > as I prefer my localbase to be /usr/local, not /usr/pkg, and I
> > prefer to optimise for each processor (CFLAGS+=-m68060 and
> > M68060=YES, for example).

If I remember correctly (Ignatios cleared this up a while ago, so I hope
I'm not forgetting), COPTS is for compiler optimisations that should be
used where optimisations are relevant (some things prefer no
optimisations), CFLAGS is for compiler flags that are set for all
compiling, and COPTFLAGS are compiler flags that are used when building
the kernel.

> Where are those flags for processor optimization set (mk.conf or some
> compiler options file)?

/etc/mk.conf
There is also a sample mk.conf that has tons of options explained:
/usr/pkgsrc/mk/mk.conf.example

> What's a good benchmark to check the performance?

I built the entire source tree from scratch with 68060 optimisations, then
did it again to see how much faster it was (the second time around the
68060 optimised compilers and tools were used).

I don't remember the exact numbewrs, but I went from 18 hours for the
whole source tree to 17 hours. Well, it's something!

John Klos