Re: Pixel errors - CV64

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 08:05:00AM +0100, Georges Heinesch wrote:

> check_disks=YES
what does this do?

> > 3. You don't run xconsole, so the output writes to the console and
> > overwrites
> >    whatever is there in video memory.
>
> Hmmm ... this should not happen even if xconsole is not used ?!?!

Hey, thats the traditional Unix console device behaviour known from, e.g.,
SunOS (at least up to 4).

As I said, a different console device can really work around this, but the
ite can't.

> > 2. could be helped by leaving out those warning messages, or
> > decoupling them from general kernel DIAGNOSTIC messages. I'm very
> > tempted to do that, but have to leave for kindergarten and work in a
> > couple of minutes.)
>
> Ok, gonna compile a new kernel with this option commented out.
>
> But still I believe that writing to the console should never interfere
> with video memory, resukting in pixelk trashing.

writing to the console IS interfering with video memory :-)

> Sounds like a bug for me ?!

See above. Standard Unix behaviour, for some values of Unix.

If you want to get rid of it faster, provide a patch for the driver of your
choice. Preferably a wscons backend :-)