Re: pppd dialup

Quoting Ignatios Souvatzis (08-Apr-01 20:23:50):

> On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 07:00:04PM +0100, Georges Heinesch wrote:

>> Hi.
>>
>> NetBSD/amiga 1.5 ... pppd stuff
>>
>> While trying to install all pppd relevant files, I got hold of the
>> NetBSD WWW published FAQ. The dialup worked, but the configuration
>> from the FAQ was not possible "out of the box" (as usually ;).
>>
>> 1. /etc/ppp/peers/myisp suggests to enter a fix host/peer IP
>> address.
>>    Well, this should rarely be the case with regular dialups. Is
>>    there any pppd configuration FAQ around with deals with this
>>    kind of dialup?
>>
> man pppd:

>        ipcp-accept-local
>               With this option, pppd will accept the peer's  idea
>               of  our  local  IP  address,  even  if the local IP
>               address was specified in an option.

>        ipcp-accept-remote
>               With this option, pppd will accept the peer's  idea
>               of  its  (remote) IP address, even if the remote IP
>               address was specified in an option.

That's what I included and it works like that, but my question was if
there is a ppp dialup FAQ dedicated to variable IP addresses (host and
peer)? The above mentioned published FAQ doesn't cover this stuff.
Many questions remain unanswered (like is the fix host/peer entry the
/etc/ppp/peers/myisp _required_, and many more ... the man pages also
don't always have answers readily available, or they do need deep
inside networking knowledge. FAQs are supposed to overcome this
problem ... hence my question for an appropriate FAQ.

>> 2. "pppd call isp" establishes the connection, but how do I get rid
>>    again of the connection?

> kill `cat /var/run/pppN.pid`, for some value of N, normally 0.

Yep, that does it. Thanks!

Why is the PID not shown with "ps"?

TIA

--