Re: Encryption question

John Klos wrote:

> I don't care too much about people downloading NiftyTelnet SSH (Mac ssh
> client) in the US, even though it is supposedly illegal, since people
> doing this for private use is probably never going to be enforced. But I
> have some users in France, where, I've heard, most if not all encryption
> software is illegal.
>
> Does anyone know specifically what users are and are not allowed to use in
> France? Is ssh out for France?

I don't know the official law, but it's going in the right direction
now, and I don't think your users will be sued or whatever for using
ssh.

There is a piece of software called ``SSF'', which is ssh limited to 128
bit keys and which was registered to the french government. You might
prefer to give your french people the following URL. They claim that it
operates transparently if either the client or the server is from the
genuine SSH suite.

http://ccweb.in2p3.fr/secur/ssf/

I didn't test it but many people use it. I use ssh.

regards,
 Aymeric