Re: Amiga as a web server

> So I tryed to install Linux. But it
> can't see my hard drive controller or
> my ethernet card. (This really makes
> it hard to install) I have been trying
> to install Linux seens December but
> I can make it work. So a bunch of

 The AriadneII is supported in the 2.0.36 kernel,
 but I believe the distributions (RedHat, Debian)
 come with 2.0.33 or older.

 It is also supported in kernels 2.1.124+, which
 means it's in 2.2.x and 2.3.x.

 No joy with the SCSI, though. While Linux supports
 some 53c710 boards (none GVP) it doesn't support
 53c770.

> people told me to try NetBSD, and they
> told me where to find your web site.

> I would like to know if I will be able to
> use a hardrive that I larger that 4 gigs with
> NetBSD?

 There may be a partition size limit of 2G, but I might
 be talking senseless drivel here ...

>         Also will an 060 Amiga running NetBSD
> be fast enough to run a web server that gets
> 1000's of hits a days?

 Short answer: yes.

 Long answer: depends.

 With your machine specs, I don't see a big problem. The most important
 resources for a web server are net connection and RAM. A good net connection
 is a measure of you fast you can pump out the data. The more RAM, the more
 preforked http daemons can be run at the same time to buffer request peaks.
 The number of hits in itself is relatively meaningless with the number of
 bytes transfered with each request.

 1000's of hits a day shouldn't make any machine sweat: 8640 hits a day
 translate to one hit every 10 seconds, on average. Plenty time to sputter
 a few dozen kB onto the web. I've run web servers on comparable or lower
 hardware, and the load (of all services together) was barely noticeable.