Re: silo overflows

 Sorry to return to this months old thread but ...

Ignatios Souvatzis writes:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 08:28:36PM +0100, Matteo Beccati wrote:
> > could some one tell me how to deal with silo overflows?
>
> lower the speed even more, maybe.
>
> > I've recompiled the kernel turning on LEV6_DEFER and setting input/output
> > buffers to 65536/8192, but this doesn't help me much... I've also tried to
> > lower serial speed to 38400 but silo overflows still slower my connection.

 I have the same problem (1.4.1, A3k). Setting SERIBUF/SEROBUF to
 4096/1024 doesn't help at all, I still keep getting hundreds of silo
 overflows in just a few minutes, and my connection is a lot slower
 than it should. I can't even type this msg properly because it's so slow.

 What does LEV6_DEFER do? Where is it documented? Which other paramters
 could I try to get up to speed (literally)?

 A3k, builtin serial, 33.6 at both ends. pppd options:

tty00 33600     # modem port and speed
connect '/etc/ppp/chat-script XXXXX' # connect script
welcome '/sbin/route delete default' # delete any current default routes first
ipparam "DOMAIN NAMESERVER1,NAMESERVER2"
passive                         # wait for remote to come up
crtscts                         # use hardware flow control
defaultroute                    # add default routing when link comes up
lock                            # lock the modem port on connect
modem                           # use full modem control
noipdefault                     # no local defaults for IP addresses
lcp-echo-interval 30            # ping the remote every 30 seconds
lcp-echo-failure 10             # declare link down after 10 pings fail
ipcp-accept-local               # allow remote to specify our IP address
ipcp-accept-remote              # allow remote to specify his IP address
netmask 255.255.255.0           # netmask for our assigned IP address
domain DOMAIN                   # domain name we're connecting into
user USERNAME                   # account name to use to log onto remote
mtu 500                         # maximum transmission size for link
noauth                          # do not require peer to authenticate itself