Re: !

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Tim Walls wrote:

> > On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, [iso-8859-1] Tim Walls wrote:
> >> Now, if it's going to stand any chance of resurrection and
> >> serving a useful purpose, it's going to need a few things done
> >> to it; specifically...
> >>
> > You should be able to find all you need. It may just cost
> > more than you want to spend. :(
>
> Nothing's changed since I last used my miggy, then...
>
> > I know there is a keyboard hardware hack to connect a PC
> > keyboard.  You may even check www.softhut.com for a
> > commercial item.
>
> Ahh - these guys look like they might well be able to
> help out; what is their reputation like?  (ie. do they
> deliver what you ask for, and will they actually tell you
> if something is out of stock/unavailable?  Normal practice
> in Amigaland used to be to take your money then just bugger
> off.)

I've had good luck with them.  They sometimes get a little
"trigger happy" crediting your credit card.  i.e. charge it
before the parts have actually shipped.  Usually just annoying
stuff though.  They haven't charged my card months before
getting parts or anything.

I've had email correspondence with them and they've seemed
to be helpful and honest.

> They (apparently) stock the "X-Surf" ethernet card, which is
> seemingly supported by NetBSD-current.  Does anyone know
> if this support is reliable, and if either the 1.4P or
> 1.4.2alpha snapshots include the support?  It would make my
> life a whole lot easier if I could net-install NetBSD!
>
> (Alternatively, does anyone know how hard it is to set up
>  a cross-compile environment to build the Amiga (kernel)
>  on an i386-current system?)

You can deffinately do it with Linux.  I mean compile a
68K Linux kernel on i386 PC Linux.  I suppose a NetBSD
setup would be quite similar as they are both Unix/Unix like.

> Thanks a lot for your help!
> Tim.

No problem.

> (PS. apologies for my first mail having a knackered reply-to
>  address, I'd forgotten to change it on that account :-).
>
> --
> Tim Walls

Fred