Re: mount_msdos and FAT Zips

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 03:51:39PM -0500, Ben Bogart wrote:
> What type of filesystem does mount_msdos use? is it FAT or VFAT?
> is the mount_msdos in version 1.4.1 updated?
>
> I've been trying to mount a Windows NT FAT formatted zip disk but netbsd
> refuses to mount it for a lacking rdb. Is there a way to install an rdb under
> NT so the disk can be mounted?

That's not your problem.

> I'm stuck trying to get a non-root user to mount a filesystem.

My suggestion is to use the automounter to access the disk... in newer
NetBSD (might be 1.4 and later) there is an example file for cdroms, which
can be adapted. But see below.

> I've tried changing both ownership and permissions of the files with no
> luck. Here is what i have done:
>
> The user trying to mount is bbogart in the wheel group.
> the node the user is trying to mount to is: /mount/zip and its owned by
> bbogart and has rwx permissions for group and user. I'm mounting with the
> command:

what are the permissions for /dev/sd1c ?

> mount_msdos /dev/sd1c /mount/zip
> (sd1c is the only partition disklabel sees on the zip.)

Yes. See below.

> The message I get back is:
> from standard output:
> mount_msdos: mount: Permission denied
>
> on the console (xconsole):
> sd1: no rdb found

Thats just a warning. It should work anyway.

> bbogart has permissions forsd1: the mount_msdos binary as well.

Does bbogart have permissions for /mount/zip?

> Shall I give up and try again when i upgrade to 1.4.1?

Uhm, I don't know what the history of msdosfs support in NetBSD is. Ask on
tech-kern about that.

> Earlier i used newfs without disklabel to format a ffs zip disk. I can access
> the files on the zip via mount and there seems to be no problems but
> disklabel
> says there is only one unused sd1c partition... Is there a good place for
> learning more in depth about filesystems?

"unused" == "there is no typed disklabel entry".

The default fake disklabel that is generated when no disklabel can
be generated from on-disk information (on NetBSD/Amiga from the
RDB) contains one partition "c" that covers all the disk.