Re: problems with standard A4K IDE interface

Napisane 13-Gru-99 przez: John Vrolijk...
>Hello

>Sorry if this seems to be a bit off-topic but I'm trying to install 1.4.1
>on my A4K.

>I've got a weird problem.
>I've hooked up a 1.6GB WD Caviar IDE disk to the standard A4K IDE interface,
>but the A4K won't start up unless I cut pin 1 on the cable.
>However, when I do that, NetBSD doesn't recognize the disk anymore.
>It says something like 'reset failed' on the IDE interface.

>Can't the IDE interface handle "modern" disks ?

>Thanks for any ideas on this.

AFAIR this is not a matter of "modern" drives but a timing problem of the
drive's reset procedures. And you should avoid cutting the line to the
possible extent. Do you have two drives? Tried to exchange master and slave
(before cutting)? Tried to make a second (keyboard) reset after power up?
Tried to exchange ROMs 3.0 <-> 3.1 ?

I was never forced to cut the line with the drives that were told they need it
for sure. Whenever I experienced any problems with that they were always
solvable by the methods described above.

--
      / /
     / /