problems with standard A4K IDE interface

Hello

Sorry if this seems to be a bit off-topic but I'm trying to install 1.4.1
on my A4K.

I've got a weird problem.
I've hooked up a 1.6GB WD Caviar IDE disk to the standard A4K IDE interface,
but the A4K won't start up unless I cut pin 1 on the cable.
However, when I do that, NetBSD doesn't recognize the disk anymore.
It says something like 'reset failed' on the IDE interface.

Can't the IDE interface handle "modern" disks ?

Thanks for any ideas on this.

John Vrolijk