Re: Spectrum issues revisited

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 09:23:18PM +0100, Lars Hecking wrote:

> > >  - booting: both generic and my own kernel detect sd2 as having 9 heads
> > >    and 84 sectors, but I get a warning:
> > >    warning: found rdb->secpercyl(756) != rdb->nsectors(54) *
> > > rdb->nheads(9)
> > >    Something screwy with the disk layout, or an off-by-one error
> > > somewhere?
> >
> > 54? with a five in front of the four?
>
>  Sorry, typo. It must read "85".

Ah.

No, then its probably ok. some disks report geometry that way. I'm
99% sure that you'll note that there's a reserved block per cylinder
if you look close with the right tool.

> > >  - unknown dos type 0x53575000. That's my Linux swap 'SWP\0' partition.
> >
> > Suggestion: I've heard the rumour that Linux doesn't really look at the
> > partition type, is this true? In this case you might want to change it to
> > the 'NBS\1' which NetBSD uses as a swap partition, to share it.
>
>  I may check outy whether it works. But in this particular case, I want
>  to confine NetBSD/Linux to their particular drives.

Ah... in this case, well, what should NetBSD do with the linux swap partition?
It can't use it for anything (would be overwritten), so recognizing it as
unrecognized -> "unused" is the right thing to do.

> > "However obscure"? Yes. Write the adosfs writing code.
>
>  <g>
sorry, but its simply missing.