Re: Spectrum issues revisited

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 01:43:11PM +0100, Lars Hecking wrote:

>  A few remarks:
>
>  - Dealing mostly with Linux these days, I keep forgetting this: the
>    install notes might mention that the c partition is the whole disk
>    and can therefore not be used for {/usr,/var,/home}.

*sigh* ok, I'll prepare something.

>  - The install notes might also mention that, if you're installing from
>    local disk, it's a good idea to check out the disk contents/partitions
>    as soon as the installer lets you. Otherwise, it is not really obvious
>    where the install sets reside :)

Uhm. suggestion noted.

>  - booting: both generic and my own kernel detect sd2 as having 9 heads
>    and 84 sectors, but I get a warning:
>    warning: found rdb->secpercyl(756) != rdb->nsectors(54) * rdb->nheads(9)
>    Something screwy with the disk layout, or an off-by-one error somewhere?

54? with a five in front of the four?
Either you or your harddisk partitioning tool wrote nonsense into the rigid
disk lock structure.

>  - unknown dos type 0x53575000. That's my Linux swap 'SWP\0' partition.

Suggestion: I've heard the rumour that Linux doesn't really look at the
partition type, is this true? In this case you might want to change it to
the 'NBS\1' which NetBSD uses as a swap partition, to share it.

>  Problem: ados volumes can be mounted read-only. Is there any, any, any
>  way around this, however obscure?

"However obscure"? Yes. Write the adosfs writing code.

> If this was possible, I could test
>  binpatch'd kernels simply by loading them from AmigaOS, C-A-A if they
>  don't work, and try the next one. As it is now, I have to copy the
>  kernel to /, halt, switch computer off, plug in Spectrum, switch on, boot;
>  if it doesn't work as expected, C-A-A, switch off, plug Spectrum out,
>  switch on, boot, try next kernel. A lot of unnecessary wear on the machine,
>  IMHO.

I don't understand the connection.

If you binpatch on the AmigaOS side (The Adosfs binary of the binpatch
program should be on the Regensburg NetBSD/Amiga ftp archive) you dont
have the problem.

If you want to do something else than what I understood, you can use
"bffs" to read the kernel off the NetBSD root partition.

Regards,
        Ignatios