Re: Accessing the floppy ?

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 09:35:33PM +0100, Markus Adamski wrote:
> So, 'newfs fd0a' should work ?
> However, it doesn't. Do I have to compile something myself ? Is the generic
no
> kernel not sufficient ?
it is sufficient.

a) as I wrote already:

the Amiga -a floppy devices are Amiga   (880k/1760k) bit-formatted.
the Amiga -b floppy devices are IBM     (720k/1440k) bit-formatted.

b) What I forgot:

on a floppy that was not previously bit-formatted to the bit format you want
to use:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=11k of=/dev/rfd0a    (Amiga format)  or
dd if=/dev/zero bs=9k of=/dev/rfd0b     (IBM format)

c) choose your file system type.

We can't currently create (or write at all) ADOS file systems.

newfs /dev/rfd0a        creates BSD ffs on      Amiga bit format
newfs /dev/rfd0b        creates BSD ffs on      IBM bit format
newfs_msdos /dev/rfd0a  creates MSDOSFS on      Amiga bit format
newfs_msdos /dev/rfd0b  creates MSDOSFS on      IBM bit format

d) mount it:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0b /mnt
will mount a MSDOSFS from a IBM bit format disk onto the directory /mnt

If you want to mount on /mnt/a: ,you need to create that directory first:

mkdir /mnt/a: