Re: Gateway4?

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 11:31:05PM +0200, Rafael Vicaría Alloza wrote:

> #apropos version | grep fvwm
>
> fvwm2 (2.xx) - F(?) Virtual Window Manager (version 2.xx) for X11

Thats fvwm2. THere is a fvwm2 package in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/fvwm2 (once you
install the pkgsrc.tgz)...

> > and if I
> > may add, even at the user level, not at the sysadmin level.
>
> Look. I'm learning unix at MY pace,. It's my decision. It's my time. I'm
> happy with it. I'm completely delighted with all the varieties of unix I
> can get for nothing and try them and study them and change them and
> everything.
>
> And what should I care about user level or sysadmin level? What is that?

Sysadmin: the person who su's to root to set up e.g. default
        X session startup scripts for the users.

User: the person(s) who use the machine for some sort of work, and set up
        their own personal session script.

(if you're the only one using the machine, the distinction might be less
 important.)

At the sysadmin level, you might (.e.g) call a different from twm
window manages in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession script (assuming you
configure the system to start xdm; there is a similar default script for
startx, I think).

_However_: as window managers are unpriviledged user programs, each user is
free to use a different window manager by createing his $HOME/.xsession or
$HOME/.xclientrc and calling it from there.

So for a unix-style maintained machine, there is no point to change the default
from twm to a non-base-distribution window manager; even if it happened to
be the one all sysadmins world-wide would agree is the best (which won't
happen), their users might disagree and use a different one.

Regards,
        Ignatios