XDM

Help! I am trying to get xdm to work and having very little success. I have
read all the man pages and am right now using the defaults with one little
addition from the man page example (to the ~/.xsession file) . I have been
running xdm from the console prompt as root and logging in seems to work, ie i
don't get a message saying i failed to login, but the xlogin widget disapears
and the system just sits there with a pointer and root window.. no window
manager or programs. (the ~/.xsession has the mwm win manager and an exterm in
it, to supposedly start.) now after several attempts i have locked myself out
of my system three times and had to reboot via amiga keys. Is there a safe way
of testing xdm configurations without the risk of locking yourself out?
here is my ~/.xession file, all the other files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm are
as deafult.

#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: Xsession /main/10 1995/12/18 18:21:28 gildea $

# redirect errors to a file in user's home directory if we can
for errfile in "$HOME/.xsession-errors" "${TMPDIR-/tmp}/xses-$USER" "/tmp/xses-$
USER"
do
        if ( cp /dev/null "$errfile" 2> /dev/null )
        then
                chmod 600 "$errfile"
                exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
                break
        fi
done

case $# in
1)
        case $1 in
        failsafe)
                exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
                ;;
        esac
esac

startup=$HOME/.xsession
resources=$HOME/.Xresources

if [ -f "$startup" ]; then
        exec "$startup"
else
        if [ -f "$resources" ]; then
                xrdb -load "$resources"
        fi
        mwm &
        exec xterm
fi

Thank you for your time!
Ben Bogart

A3000, CUSTOM Kernel, 24MB Ram, 2.1GB HD, Spectrum Card