Where should I put grfconfig (was: Re: your mail)

Hello Ignatios,

On Tuesday, 30-Mar-99, 20:30:40,
Ignatios Souvatzis <is%jocelyn.rhein.de@localhost> wrote about:
Re: your mail:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 11:09:00AM +0200, Markus Illenseer wrote:
>> > Meanwhile I tried with "extract" (from the directory
>> > /XFree86/NetBSD-1.3.2/ and from /var/tmp [after copying offcourse]) ,
>> > but it still doesn't work and extracting with tar --unlink xpzf (and!
>> > --unlink -xvpzf) /.../[filename] where filename is something like
>> > X332bin.tgz

>> Yieks. XFree86 is - as named - for Intel platforms, not Amiga. The m68k
>> sets for X11 are placed in ./m68k/binary/sets/. The Amiga directory
>> "binary/sets" contains softlinks to those files.

>> Try again with those files please, just as Arto already stated, too.

>>> I allready did !! (twice and more !)

>> Ignatios: The INSTALL.X11 is probably misleading, as you might fetch the
>> wrong files, because the place where to look for them is not mentioned.

> Hm. I will look at this before preparing the first 1.4 snapshot.

If it is posssible, and you have the time, could you please clarify where to
put the following line:

/usr/sbin/grfconfig /dev/grf5 /etc/grfmodes

I have it at the end of rc.local now, but there was some discussion a while
ago concerning this.

Ingold Koch wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 05:23:43PM +0000, Ola Olsson wrote:
>> -------------- /etc/rc.local --------------------------
>[...]
>> echo 'loading grfmodes'
>> /usr/sbin/grfconfig /dev/grf7 /etc/grfmodes

>/etc/rc.local is executed _after_ xdm is started (at least
>if you selected xdm in /etc/rc.conf). That means that
>probably /dev/grf7 does not yet know mode 4 when xdm wants
>to start an Xserver with this mode.
>
>I have grfconfig in /etc/rc (I don't like it because IMHO
>/etc/rc should not be changed in any way), somewhere before
>xdm is started.
>
>Good luck
>    Ingolf

I haven't started to use xdm yet (I haven't defined any new user yet, I'm
still RTFMing) but I will one of these days...   There's a lot to be learned
yet...

BTW, I found very useful information for newbies like me concerning adding
new users. It can be found in:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/adduser.html

And Mark Andres pages (http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/) are really
useful too for newbies like me. Thanks Mark!!!

And last but not least, thank you very much for your effort and your time,
Ignatious, great job!

Best regards

---Rafa

--