Re: Resigning

On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 08:11:02PM -0500, Christian E. Hopps wrote:

> I'd like to announce that I'm resigning as Amiga port master.  I
> plan to continue working on NetBSD as a developer.

Christian, thanks for your work.

Hope I won't find out the hard was how much it really was.. (with a
release cycle pending).

To illustrate what he did besides the occasional snapshot for the release
and some kernel hacking, here's a seemingly small thing that wasn't
handled publicly.

My first submission to NetBSD were the Amiga "bah" driver and the machine
independent ARCnet subroutines. The Amiga driver was handled by Christian,
who refused to look at it soon unless I made sure myself that it was formatted
according to NetBSDs coding standards*. I murmured something about indent and
the .pro being somewhere available, and in his reply he insisted I should do
it manually, and wrote up a really long e-mail message explaining why.**

I cursed to myself and did it. Actually, having used other NetBSD driver
code as a skeleton, I didn't have much work.

Half a year later I noticed, reading an RKRM example, how hard to read C=s
coding style was, compared to the BSD one... and I even understood why,
remembering Christians lesson.

Thanks again