Partitions not recognised with PFS? / Linux compatability

Hi. I read in the mail archives about a problem someone had with
installing NetBSD 1.3.3 and I seem to have a similar problem. When I am
asked for a root partition, swap partition and then a filesystem I think
I should enter this (the docs are a bit vauge):

root: sd1a
swap: none
fs:   generic

my system is:

A4000/2mb chip/3.1 ROMs
Cyberstorm MK II 060/50 40mb Fast onboard
PicassoIV/ConciertoIV/PalomaIV
GVP 4008 SCSI with 4mb of Zips onboard
    - SCSI bus - 6 = SCSI Zip (read only at the moment - needs fixing)
                 3 = Rioch SCSI CDRW 2x2x6
Buddha Flash: 1st port master = LG CDROM (32x)
              2nb port master = ATAPI Zip
Internal IDE: master = Quantum Fireball TMA 3.2GB
              slave  = Western Digital Caviar 6.4GB

The GVP causes problems if the connected devices are not turned on
(hangs). The HDs are partitioned thus: (I know, unimaginative names,
but..)

Quantum Fireball:
+-----+---------------------------+------------------------------------+
 dh0:              dh1:                            dh2:
System           Quantum                         Fireball
(boot)            940mb                           2048mb
100mb              FFS                             FFS
 FFS

Western Digital:
+------------------------------+----------+----------+-+---+---+---------+
             dh3:                  dh4:       dh5:    | swap |    local
           Digital               CDBuild      Temp    |128mb |    1024mb
            3.3GB                 650mb       800mb   |      |
            PFS2                  PFS2        FFS     |      |
                                                     root   user
                                                     30mb   150mb

The root, swap, user and local partitions are set up as NetBSD
partitions as described. All the flags/values have been set correctly in
HDToolBox. They are of the correct DOS types.

I installed the miniroot.fs on the swap partition. I then booted into
NetBSD, trying both the 'loadbsd -b netbsd' and bootblock methods. Both
had the same result.

When my devices have been found (sd0 = Quantum, sd1 = Western Digital) I
entered the root, swap and filesystem types as mentioned above. I also
tried every other partition name I had (a - h) in every combination and
tried the same for the swap partition. The result was always similar to
this, with obvious changes:

root on sd1b dumps on sd1b
no file system for sd1 (dev 0x410)
cannot mount root error = 79

Anyway, I can never get past that part. Has anyone got any ideas? I use
PFS 2 and that causes some errors with but I don't see as they should
affect the detection of the root and swap partitions. Perhaps there is a
problem with HDToolBox and partitions past the 4.2Gb limit? I have tried
HDInstTools and it reports that HDToolBox has correctly partitioned the
drive.

On another topic, I am interested in running some Linux apps. In
particular I'd like to run KDE and KOffice. Has anyone had any luck with
installing these packages? I was under the impression that most Linux
stuff would work with NetBSD, but as I am fairly new to unix I'm not
sure.

Thanks!

Paul
|      Paul Qureshi - paul%mc68k.demon.co.uk@localhost  |
| Amiga 3D Graphics - www.mc68k.demon.co.uk   |
|       Amiga Coder - Asm/C/Blitz             |
|             Intel - Outside                 |