PPP troubles

I am still having problems with getting ppp to work, my latest error message
is:

LCP: timeout sending Comfig-Requests

the connection is not broken, but telnet returns "host not known" no matter
what host i type in (could the connection actually be working, but telnet
needs a list of hosts somewhere?). After breaking the connection i still get
the error message saying the line was not 8 bit clean and that bit 7 always
returned 0.

Thank you
Ben Bogart

NetBSD1.3.2, GENERIC, A3000, 2MB RAM, 2.1GB HD, EGS-Spectrum Card