Re: BFFS 1.5

Quoting Stefan Hensen (23-Jun-98 01:53:00):

>> > This field can be used to set certain options of the filesystem
>> > concerning things like handling of symbolic links, case
>> > sensitivity in file names, mapping of protection bits for group
>> > and other, read-omly mode etc.. It is recommended to use BFFStool
>> > (included in BFFS 1.5) to test these options and finally insert
>> > in the mountlist the PreAlloc value displayed by that program.
>>
>> What do you use as PreAlloc and Reserved?

> I must admit that I did not experiment very much with these
> parameters. The default value for PreAlloc seems to be 7,

Did you notice that selection (checked gadget) of ...

 1 = Turn on automatic symlink resolution
 2 = Turn on case independence.  If you are familiar with the
     Amiga filesystem, you probably want to turn this on.
 4 = Make filesystem respect UNIX paths and not AmigaDOS paths

... in BBFSTool on, results in a PreAlloc value of 0. This is in
contradiction with the doc/user_manual.

I tested it and a PreAlloc Value of 0 (with mounting as DOSDriver or
through the RDB) really means that the access to files is case
dependant [2]. This would mean that the doc/user_manual is correct,
and BFFSTool shows wrong figures. I confirmed this by setting PreAloc
of the BSDROOT: to 0 and the BSDUSR: to 7. BFFSTool showed the
opposite!

The first option (automatic symlink resolution) behaves opposite of
what is expected. "0" switches it *ON*, "1" *OFF*!

Looking at the third option (respect UNIX paths), does this incluence
something else than the 'cd /' command (goes to / [UNIX] or one
directory up [AmigaOS])?

> I find it useful to set also 'invert the definition of the
> other/group permission bits' (32), because otherwise one gets
> settings like
> '-rw--wx-wx' instead of '-rw-r--r--' and '-rwx-w--w-' instead of
> '-rwxr-xr-x' when copying files from one side to the other.

Why is this not done immediately?
It is logical that '-rw-r--r--' should be used instead of
'-rw--wx-wx'. Anyway, it's not explained how the group/other
permissions are mapped to the UNIX side when copying from AmigaOS to
UNIX. Are the group/other permissions always 'r--' when this flag is
set and '-wx' when it's unset?

64 = Report space free relative to minfree (instead of actual)

C:Info showed indeed some differences (52% full or 57% full). But what
is the difference between both settings?

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei%ibm.net@localhost - geohei%geocities.com@localhost

... if you can't beat them, join them !